Playing Fields & Venues

Playing Fields & Venues in Dayton, Ohio



American Trapshooting Association (Route 40, Vandalia) As early as 1924, this was the site of the International Grand American Trapshooting championships as well as the Ohio State Trapshooting championships.


Burkhardt Hill (Burkhardt Avenue) The site of the Soap Box Derby in 1934.  The starting line was Burkhardt and Smithville Roads.


Community Golf Course  (W. Dorothy Lane) Having been an NCR employees recreational park named NCR Country Club, complete with men and women’s clubhouses, polo field, open-air theater, three baseball diamonds, ten clay tennis courts, stables, nine holes of golf, and other amenities, the City of Dayton became owner in 1918 gratis of the John H. Patterson’s estate.  In 1924, the year an additional nine holes were completed, the National Public Links tournament was played on the Hills and Dales courses; The Western Open in 1931; the Ohio State Amateur; the State Public Links tournament, and many local tournaments.


Dayton Canoe Club (Riverside Drive)  Founded in 1913, the Dayton Canoe Club is a private, comprehensive club located at the confluence of four rivers.


Dayton Speedway (Soldiers Home Road) In the 1930s, this was a racecar site for the best-known drivers in the U.S.  The need for longer tracks put the half-mile Dayton course on the “skids” as far as attracting top-flight entries.  Dayton was the headquarters of the Central States Racing Association.


Ducks Park/Hudson Field (Southside of W. Third Street near the Soldiers Home) Ducky Holmes bought the Dayton Old Soldiers team in 1932 and moved them to Ducks Park.  After WWII the park became Hudson Field and was used by the team through 1942.  From 1946 to 1951, the field was used by the Dayton Indians, which was a minor league farm team for the Cleveland Indians and St. Louis Browns.


Fairview Park (at the intersection of Fairview Avenue and N. Main Street) This park was first used by the minor league pro baseball team, The Dayton Old Soldiers, from 1899 to 1911, when the Dayton Board of Education bought the property to build the recently razed E.J. Brown School.  Fairview Park was the home of Dayton’s Velodrome (1901 to 1905) where national and international bicycle races were held.  The track burned down in 1905.


Greater Dayton Rowing Club (Helena Street) Incorporated in 1992, GDRA, which has a 2,500-meter stretch of rowable water on the Great Miami River, is the home of the Five Rivers Fall Regatta, the University of Dayton’s men and women’s rowing clubs, and the very successful, active GDRA Junior Rowing program.


Hara Arena (Shiloh Springs Road) Home of the Dayton Gems hockey.


Jim Nichols Tennis Center (Ridge Avenue) Built in 1976, and originally named the Triangle Tennis Center, this complex of nine courts is the site of the 106th Dayton Daily News Montgomery County Championships and the 90th YMCA Tennis Championships.  The complex was renamed for Jim Nichols, a past president of the Dayton Junior Tennis Foundation, and long-time reporter for the Dayton Daily News.


Kettering Field (N. Bend Boulevard) This unique complex with 17 softball diamonds is the primary location for the area’s 20,000 softball players.  It is also the site of the annual National Police Softball Tournament, attracting reams from across the U.S.


MacGregor Golf Club/D P & L Course (Woodman Drive) The nine-hole course was started in 1917 and took five years to build by designer and groundskeeper Earl O’Bannon.  All the MacGregor clubs were tested here by Clyde Mumma who would hit up to 1,000 balls a day!  Later it became the D P & L Course.


McKinley Park (Forest and Riverview Avenues) The park opened in 1915.  A quarter-mile track here was used for city and state track meets before Welcome Stadium was built.  Bicycle races were also held here.


Montgomery County Fairgrounds (S. Main Street) In 1874 Goldsmith Maid set a world’s trotting horse record for one mile in front of a reported 100,000 fans. Since then the Fairgrounds has been the site of numerous sporting events such as baseball, bicycle and car racing, wrestling, boxing, rodeos, tennis, dog and horse shows and basketball. See sub-heading titled Montgomery County Fairgrounds.


North Side Field (Northwest of Leo Street and Troy Pike, behind what is now Phillips Swimming Club) This field was used by a professional minor league baseball team, The Aviators, from 1928 to 1930.


Nutter Center (Colonel Glenn Highway) Home of the Dayton Bombers hockey and Wright State University Raiders basketball.


Triangle Park (Ridge Avenue) Home field of the Dayton Triangles professional football team.  One of the first four teams in the National Football League.  The first game between two league teams was played here on October 3, 1920.  The Dayton Triangles defeated the Columbus Panhandles 14-0.  Dayton businessmen, Edward Deeds and Charles Kettering, founders of three companies sponsoring the football team, purchased this tract of land from the Edward Best estate.  This land was to be a park for the City of Dayton.  However, during this period, the area became a recreational park for the employees of all of Deeds and Kettering’s companies.  The park was located at the confluence of the Great Miami and Stillwater Rivers and the park had a triangular shape.  A committee appointed to select a name for the new park picked the name Triangle Park.  It is also possible that the park was named for Deeds and Kettering’s triangle of downtown companies.  In May of 1917, the park opened, and that fall the Dayton Triangles football team started to use the area as their home field.  The playing field was located on Ridge Avenue where Howell Baseball Field is today.


University of Dayton Arena  (Edwin Moses Boulevard).  Home of the University of Dayton Flyers basketball.


Welcome Stadium (Edwin Moses Boulevard) Built in 1949 for high school football and track, Welcome Stadium was the host of the National AAU track meets in 1953 and 1957.  It is currently used for state track meets, high school football and is rented by the University of Dayton for their home football games.


Westwood Field (N. Western pike) This field is where the Dayton Marcos opened their Negro National Baseball League home season against the Chicago Giants in 1930.  Satchel Paige pitched here against the Marcos.


YMCA Park (Northwest corner of Ridge Avenue and Riverside Drive) This field, used from 1892 to 1913, featured a quarter-mile track as well as track and field facilities.  Orville Wright won bicycle races here, and his medals are on display at Carillon Historical Park.